There has been sock progress.
First off, I cast on Fawkes, which I think of as my Momma Monkey Memorial Socks. She was a very talented designer, and I think she would have loved the bright orange yarn I've picked for this project. Cast on only a few days ago, I'm already done with the cuff -- unless I add another pattern repeat. But I'm afraid I'll run out of yarn if I do that.
And now, a picture of the formerly frustrating toe-up heel! Thanks so much for all the help. Once the concept behind the toe-up heel clicked, I figured out that I was supposed to sl1, k 14 till the marker -- because the next line mentioned 15 stitches on each DPN. Which worked beautifully with the k2tog at the end of the previous row, because it reduced my stitches from 16 to 15. All is well, and the sock fits beautifully.
By the way, the pattern is available for free here!
Other than the tiny miscount, it's very well written and makes for a great first toe-up sock knitting experience.