Friday, August 29, 2008

Vacation, Pt. 2

Well, this took longer than expected! It would appear that I brought a bad cold and some other stuff requiring antibiotics back from Florida (along with a whole bunch of manatee-shaped goodies). Anyhow...

One of my favorite places was Tarpon Springs. It's predominantly Greek, it's the center of the sponge fishing industry in Florida, and you can get the most incredible Greek food. Best spanakopita ever! Here is me in front of a boat... and if you're wondering why most of my pictures are of me in front of things, it's because Mr. Batty took the greater part of our pictures.


We also went to the Aquarium in Tampa. We have a big one in Boston, but the Tampa Aquarium is all about local fish, so it was totally different and well worth seeing. But even if it had been boring otherwise (which it wasn't), this little guy would have made my day. Look at him, can you tell what he is? That's right!

Nanananananananananananananana Batfish!


We then spent the night at a hotel with a lovely view and had a wonderful dinner at a restaurant that was aptly named the Restaurant D'Amore. Yes, I get sappy sometimes. The food was incredible and we spent a good 2 hours there while it was pouring outside. Then we went back to our room and watched 10,000 BC, which we expected to be bad, but it was really, really bad. I don't dare think about how bad it would have been without the entire bottle of wine we'd just had with dinner.


And when we got home, this was waiting for me. A birthday package, sent by the wonderful (and talented... look at that pattern!) Rosi.


Just wait till you see what was in it! Oh, I know I'm evil for leaving you with a cliffhanger, yes I am...

8 comments:

fleegle said...

It looks like it was a wonderful vacation!

And they put tigers to sleep to give them medication :)

Zonda said...

Yes, you are evil for that LOL! Neat batfish! Sounds like a lovely time! Glad you are feeling better!

Bezzie said...

Oooo! Tease!

I like that batfish. I've never seen or heard of those before!

weezalana said...

Ah! That batfish is cracking me up! I can't tell which part is the front of him!

Beverly said...

Aw, Tarpon! My dad's family lived in New Port Richey when I was a kid, so we spent summers there. A day in Tarpon on the sponge docks was always a highlight. I think that's where I got my love of cheesy tourist-trap souvenir shops.

Can't wait to see what's in the box.

Becky said...

Now that's a cliff-hanger!

I love the batfish. Ha!

fleegle said...

There wasn't enough time to get airsick. And it took three hours to pick the sticky rice from the dinner tray out of our hair.

Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

I like it when you're evil.