Saturday, June 27, 2009

Break from Work... with Knitting!

The big project is over. No more work over the weekend, so I have time to sit and knit -- now that I'm rested enough to do some knitting, that is. So what has happened since?

For one thing, Mr. Batty and I bought an X-Box. Merlin is convinced we bought it for him. Here he is, flopping on his new toy, eyes glowing as if he had somehow become part of the electronic console gaming experience. And he looks slightly demented, which should come as no surprise. He's a cat. Any questions?


I mentioned knitting, and I wasn't kidding. I finally finished one of the socks I cast on in May on my way to Cleveland. This is my first time using Tofutsies, and I have to say, I like it. Not the same amount of give as wool, of course, but the colors are pretty, the twisted stitch pattern works, and I'm not getting any major pooling.


And they are special. Look, my first tabi sock ever! Like a mitten for your feet. How cool is that? I was so intrigued by the construction, I couldn't stop knitting once I got to the toe.

The other pair of socks I've been working on are these. I had to use flash to get a good shot, so of course, you can't see the pattern. There's a cable running down each leg. The chart doesn't come with a legend, so I just twisted one to the left and the other to the right -- the cables on both legs are now facing each other.


See? There's a cable. I'm not trying to pull a fast one, I swear!


Details:
Pattern: Masonic Lodge (found it on rav)
Yarn: J. Knits Superwash Me - Sock, Color: Wheeling
Needles: US #0
Size: European 43
Comments:
I love this yarn. This is the slightly heavier version, which is regular weight sock yarn. It also comes in a thinner version, but I liked this for a man sock.
The pattern instructions for knitting the heel are slightly off -- when you start the heel turn, it says to knit 21 stitches. If you do that, the math doesn't work out. Knit 20 stitches, and you'll end up with the same amount of stitches to the left and right of your short row. You can follow the pattern from there.

12 comments:

fleegle said...

Love your tabi sock! Wish I could show you how to make thin yarn...personal instruction works best. Oh well. You'll get it eventually.

adrienne said...

Very nice socks! I knit tabi socks quite a while ago, and I've never worn them :( I hope yours get more use than mine! They're so cool to look at and knit!

weezalana said...

Nice socks! We have a Wii, but haven't played with it much recently. I think there's even a game or two still in the wrapper! We're a disappointment to game geeks everywhere. :P

knitwych said...

Great socks! I'm so glad to hear you liked the Tofutsies. I've heard complaints, but I wanted to try it for myself. I've got a skein sitting in my stash now, waiting to be worked.

Love the wild-eyed kitty! Naturally, he thinks you brought home the X-Box just for him. What other possible reason would you have to bring something into *his* house? :-)

Bezzie said...

Interesting pattern!!!

Hmmm...does the Xbox warranty cover excessive cat hair damage? I'm kidding--slightly. We had to pay $65 once to have our hard drive cleaned b/c of cat hair in the exhaust fan. Maybe I should dust more.

Maureen said...

Wow! Those socks are great! I love tofutsie! They wash and wear great!. Love the little cable sock too. I'll get back to socks one of these days!

cpurl17 said...

Tabi sock is cute!!

Canned air works great for cat hair removal. (at least for my keyboard)

Becky said...

Nice toe socks. And Merlin must be very happy with a warm, cozy box to sit on.

Rocky Moreno said...

I like the yarn for the Masonic sock, very nice.

Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

The Xbox purrs back--at least that's what he's hoping for.

Paige said...

Are those tabi socks comfy? They look great! Keep us posted on how you like X-Box. I want Wii!

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Love the socks! Great job!