Saturday, June 06, 2009

Saturday Fun

Today was such a fun day! After a week of working on various and sundry taxonomy conversions, pulling my hair out trying to manage a project, and dealing with office politics/workplace drama, I really needed this.

First, Mr. Batty and I went shoe shopping in Lexington. Driving in, I glimpsed a sign I could have sworn said YARN! on it in huge letters. I really thought that's what it said. After we were done buying new shoes for Mr. Batty, we went to investigate... turns out the sign says Wild and Woolly, and it's pretty much illegible from where we drove past it... I guess I'm developing a sixth sense -- Yarn Sense!

So we stopped by. And, as Mr. Batty says, you can't go into a new yarn store without buying something -- it's rude. My mother taught me to mind my manners, which explains this lovely dark blue/purple-ish skein of Malabrigo Sock.


And the skein of Madeline Tosh. Sock yarn is like cats, you can't have just one.


That's not mentioning the enormous bags of sock yarn already in residence, or the "stashlet" that has moved into our bedroom... ahem. Moving on, nothing to see here...
Hey, look, I'm changing the subject!

When I went grocery shopping this morning, I found these. They are Canadian heirloom tomatoes, and they come in red, yellowish/red, and greenish. They weren't on my shopping list, but they were so pretty, I couldn't resist. Mr. Batty says they look like silk purses, and I think he's right.


View from the top. Almost too pretty to eat, no?


But eat them we did. I made tomatoes alla Caprese, with fresh organic basil and fresh mozzarella, neither of which had been on the shopping list originally. The flavor of these tomatoes was unbelievable. I would serve these to guests at a dinner party, they were so good.

Now, I'm going to finish doing the laundry and read a bit. Maybe work on one of my secret knitting projects for a while. It's been a great, relaxing day.

15 comments:

fleegle said...

My favorite salad! And I have a skein of that Malabrigo--I love it love it.

I promise a photo of me surrounded by 106 kilos of cashmere/merino/silk yarn. Maybe I should just keep it all....

Eileen said...

Oh,that's a lovely knitting shop. We've been there. DH walked out with an alpaca vest (they were selling samples) and *I* brought home sock yarn.

And don't you love finding gorgeous produce? Wonder what I'll fall over tomorrow? I've got shopping to do, we're having company for the next few days...

Bonnie said...

A day with new sock yarn and yummy homemade food sounds perfect! Those tomatoes are gorgeous.

Norm Deplume said...

I'm not sure which looks more appetizing-- the yarn or that caprese. I think that I have to vote for the caprese (of course I would have picked the yarn if had had a decent tomato in the last 6 months!)

Paige said...

I would like to come over and pet your Malabrigo sock and eat some tomato Caprese salad! I fear my tomato plant is not going to make it through the torrential and constant rain we've had lately but I'm holding out hope!

fleegle said...

I have a feeling that I will be sick of this yarn before we are done!

Becky said...

Lovely tomatoes. We grew some heirlooms last summer. Yum!

Isn't it great to have a husband who is supportive of your happiness? Sometimes happiness = wild and wooly, huh?

Michelle said...

I see knee socks with a bat on top...

Jo said...

Very pretty tomatoes! I love that kind of salad - so simple, yet so tasty.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comments on the blog. Did you find what you were looking for about the Masonic lodge heels?

adrienne said...

Sounds like a great day! I love Malabrigo sock - I need to get some for myself!

weezalana said...

Pretty yarn, tasty food. That is a good day!

cpurl17 said...

Sounds like you have excellent Yarn-dar!

the tomatoes look yumm!

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Awwww....such gorgeous sock yarns!! Gotta love Mr. Batty's attitude! It would have been rude :)

Rocky Moreno said...

Such pretty yarn, and those tomatoes, look crazy!