Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Special Socks

The stash is huge. Cookie A.'s sock club starts up in a couple of weeks. I'm knitting faster. How fast, you ask? 3 FO's in 2 days, baby! Yeah!

First up, the Speshul Snoflake Socks. What makes them special, uh, speshul? They are my first-ever two-at-a-time socks. I started toe-up with 12 stitches, then winged it. Didn't want gusset increases because I wasn't sure my yarn would last. So I did an afterthought heel and kept knitting.


The yarn is leftovers from my SIL's Christmas socks and some other socks I knit a year or two ago. You see, I have very small feet. Every time I knit socks, I end up with lots of leftovers. And the leftover bag is swelling. Hence: leftover socks.


These still aren't that speshul, though, are they? Well, here's the extra speshul element. You see, I'd finished the sock and was about to start the afterthought heel. I started unraveling my waste yarn and picking up stitches... Aaaaah! I'd knit together the top and the bottom of the hole! Panic! The yarn had to be cut, but there was no way I'd be able to weave in those ends. Not enough yarn. What's a knitter to do?

Answer: Use Crazy Glue!


By the time I knit the second sock, it occurred to me that I didn't need the glue. All you have to do is unravel the half-row that's knit together in the middle, pick up the stitches a row below it for your heal, and sew in the ends. Live and learn.

Very exciting, no? In that case, I don't want to leave you hanging with socks only. Here's a preview of some done-and-blocking FO's. Hint: one of them is the hat formerly known as Penis Hat. Except, now it's no longer reminiscent of said appendage. I fixed it.


Got to do work and wait for the snow. We're getting yet another Snowpocalypse. I may be the only person who isn't sick of it yet. I love snow.

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Crazy glue? Love it! You are a knitting inspiration.

Enjoy the snow, Batty!!!

Poops said...

Nope, not the only one! I love the snow too! Ask me again if it's still snowing in April, though.

Eileen said...

I love the snow too. And shovelling is great exercise. I haven't been running since some time in December!