Friday, January 13, 2012

Startitis

I have heard much about startitis, the almost pathological urge to cast on new projects, but until the last couple of days, I had never experienced it for myself. Now, I have a bad case of it.
Usually, swatching is a barrier to entry when it comes to sweater knitting. I don't want to do it. The start of a new project is my least favorite part of knitting, if you'll believe it. So you can imagine my surprise when I started swatching. Big swatches, too, not just a scanty inch to figure out if my gauge is anywhere in the ballpark. No, 4+ inches. For multiple projects. In fact, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to swatch for another project before work now.

4 comments:

Rocky Moreno said...

haha! i get startitis all the time, sometimes its unnerving. it reminds me of a type of knitter's anxiety..we get this panic and urge and its like we can't quench it...8)

Kate said...

Considering how much I hate to cast on, I get not wanting to start things.

Which is why I have a pair of socks on the needles and that's it right now. I really should start something else, but then I'd have to cast on!

Anonymous said...

KNIT ALL THE THINGS.

I've never actually had startitis. I thought I did, once, but I started one thing and suddenly all my other projects were giving me guilt.

Dana said...

Oh, I have the worst case of startitis you have ever seen! It doesn't just affect my knitting, either. I get it in my reading, writing stories, and anything else creative that I try. So sorry to hear you are afflicted with it...but it really is a fun way to live. Now excuse me while I locate that shawl I started last June...