Sunday, January 11, 2009

Bad Skein?

I have a question for all of you who have knit with Wildfoote sock yarn. My experience with Brown Sheep products has until now been limited to Lamb's Pride Worsted and Cotton Fleece, both of which are very nice. Now, I'm knitting socks with navy Wildfoote, and I'm less than impressed. I had to cut out a whole section where the yarn had unraveled and the plies looked all shredded. In other sections, it looks like one of the plies snapped, they'll hang off the main yarn in unsightly lengths of a quarter inch to an inch.
So, my question: Is this normal for this yarn, or did I just get a bum skein? I like the idea of being able to knit a pair of socks for $15, but if this is not an exception, I know I can get good quality yarn for $3-7 more.

9 comments:

Jo said...

Sorry - never used Wildfoote before. I hope you just had a bad skein, though.

Anonymous said...

I didn't have issues with it (though I didn't care for the splittiness or the wear) but I know it is an unpopular yarn - not up to brown sheep quality in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

I've knit with it and was not impressed. I didn't like that it split and the feel of it while knitting and wearing. The skein had no flaws though.

Unknown said...

I knit with it and enjoyed it, other than the splittiness. It definitely sounds like you have a bad skein, and in my experience Brown Sheep is very good about replacing bad skeins - I had a couple with many knots while knitting a sweater, and they sent me an entire sweater worth of yarn!

kemtee said...

Bum skein. I've knit up plenty of Wildfoote with no problems other than splittyness, generally from being frogged and reknit several times.

I know a lot of people don't care for the texture but my Wildfoote socks are the hardest wearing pairs I have.

Stariel's onto something -- try contacting Brown Sheep.

Bonnie said...

I've never used Wildefoote, but that's because I have been warned away from it by a couple of serious sock knitters. Sorry you've had troubles with it!

Cindy in (un) Happy Valley said...

I had a problem once with Wildfoot--two skeins with the same dye lot were wildly different. It was bizarre. I sent Brown Sheep an email, and within a couple weeks I received TWO skeins of the same color in the mail. No muss, no fuss. I think you got a bad skein and I'd notify the company. (By the way, it's not the fanciest yarn, but it has been wearing fine.)

Rocky Moreno said...

Hmm, I've never knitted with Wildfoote. I would not buy it again if it did that for me.

Elspeth said...

I do not like Wildfoot. I haven't gotten that far to find problems with the skein, but it was so splitty and I thought the finished product didn't look good that I just gave up on the project. I hope you can get it figured out!