Saturday, January 31, 2009

Undercover Cat

It's Saturday morning and I had buttermilk in the refrigerator. Just not quite enough, so I decided to try a trick I'd read in a cookbook: take 1 cup of regular milk and add 1/2 tablespoon of lemon juice to it. Wait to thicken.
It worked like a charm.


We were getting ready to sit down and enjoy some lovely made-from-scratch pancakes when I noticed a suspicious-looking lump at the opposite corner of the table. It was moving. It was vaguely cat-shaped. I could see Morgana clearly, but Merlin was missing.


Sing to the Mission impossible theme music:

Sneak up on those pancakes
Sneak up on those pancakes
Sneak up on those pancakes
Sneaky Cat!

Fortunately, we got there before he did.

Then, there was some more excitement as I frogged my Plaited Points sock. Partway up the foot, I had to finally admit that 6 st/inch is very different from 8 st/inch, particularly when you start out with 66 stitches and have really skinny feet. I loved the color (Mountain Colors Bearfoot in Ruby River, pretty!), and I was so proud of myself for getting Judy's Magic Caston right and working my first toe-up star toe. Alas...
Riiiiiiiip.


This is my new toe-up project: Back to Basics from Fall 2007 knitty, I believe. In Opal Rainforest (I love Opal yarns!), color: Hummel.
I used Judy's Magic Caston again, and here is the result. I'm happy again.

11 comments:

weezalana said...

LOL! Merlin is such a sneaky little kitty! Wonder what he was looking for under there...

Beverly said...

That milk trick works with white vinegar too.

I really like opal yarns, probably better than the fancy superwash hand-dyed yarns. The wear like iron.

Anonymous said...

Yum pancakes! We use the milk trick all the time, only we use vinegar.

Kaye said...

Ha ha! Sneaky cat indeed! Hee hee!!!

I do what Bev does too with the vinegar.

I swear I see some kind of figure on that pancake there. Mother Teresa??? Did you eat it?!

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, I haven't tried toe-up yet. I'm curious though....

Soo said...

What a clever little cat. If only you pesky kids hadn't stopped him he would have got away with it!! :)

Rocky Moreno said...

That looks like a nice Fall'ish color.

Opal said...

delicious looking pancakes! that opal yarn is beautiful, as all things named opal should be. ;-)

cpurl17 said...

Lol! Next time he'll drop from the sky ninja style!

sgeddes said...

HeHe - that sneaky cat is a riot! He's going to have to be even more stealth to get those pancakes!

I love the toe for the socks! The colr is great.

Eileen said...

Merlin is sneakier than Fa Sing.

He creeps up behind (you), sits up, stretches out both front paws, and pats you on the...behind.