Saturday, January 17, 2009

First FO of 2009

Not too bad, huh? Considering I have 2 pairs of socks on the needles (after frogging a third) and don't have too much knitting time because it's busy season at work. But it's cold out. Yesterday, it was 1 pathetic degree Fahrenheit. I know it's colder in other parts of the country, but that's enough for me, thank you very much. And Mr. Batty needed a hat.

Hat laid out flat.


Hat from the top.


Action shot of hat.


Why the color only came out black in the last picture is beyond me. I guess there's a reason I'm no professional photographer.

Pattern details:
Pattern: Nordic Hat Three Ways from The Knitting Man(ual) -- the simplest version of the pattern, obviously.
Yarn: Karabella Aurora 8 in black
Needles: US #5, 16 and 24 inch length
Modifications: none
Comments: Really, really fun to knit. Aurora 8 creates a smooth fabric that I love. And I'm realizing that I'm turning into a loose knitter. I used size 5 needles and got gauge. These days, I have to go down a needle size or two!

17 comments:

Bezzie said...

Hee hee, you loose knitter you!! Looks warm! And don't worry, black and red are impossible for me to take pictures of.

Anonymous said...

The hat looks great! In this weather, everyone needs a nice hand knit hat.

Bonnie said...

Looks like a perfect fit, and the knitting is beautiful. Bravo!

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Yay for the first FO!! The hat looks great!

Anonymous said...

My goodness it's been cold around here! Mr. Batty's new hat looks very warm though.

Dana said...

OK, I think I've found the place for me! Your profile intrigues me, and your knitting is great! I don't knit many hats except for the in-laws who live out-of-state, but looking at yours makes me wish that I did. We just don't get that cold in my part of Texas...I guess it is time to bring in the tropical plants for the winter, though...
Great blog!

Anonymous said...

Love the hat and LOVE the bat buttons! It's finally hat weather here (NC) too!

sgeddes said...

I like the hat and the stitch pattern around the edge - very nice!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, very nice. I love the edge. And the recipient looks quite pleased!

Maureen said...

Love the hat!! The edging s really nice!

Beverly said...

Looks great and fits perfectly.

Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

Nice hat. I knit loosely, too. I've gotten better, though. Sometimes I only need to go down 1 needle size. For tiny needles I'm almost on gauge now.

Soo said...

He looks very happy with the hat!

(And I love the mysterious colour changing properties of the hat as well!)

Eileen said...

A loose woman...er, knitter, eh?
This is a good year for FOs already (would you believe I've made a hat, a tea cozy, finished the Hope sweater and finished the initial knitting on the striped vest? making up for last year, apparently).

That's a handsome hat. You did a beautiful job!

Rocky Moreno said...

Isn't it funny how the camera angle just totally changes the color of the yarn? I've had that happen so much I end up reshooting. Nice man hat.

weezalana said...

Very cool hat! Love that detail around the brim!

Becky said...

Nice hat. I like the simple pattern. Lucky Mr. Batty. :)

I want to try Aurora 8. Heard good things about it.