Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Progress and Riiiiiip

I got a package from my friend Linda yesterday! It was little and cute and came from a goth store in Leipzig, so I knew it was going to be good. But I had no idea how good! If you click on the picture to get a better view, you'll see that these are buttons. They have a spider on one side and a bat on the other. Awesome reversible bat/spider buttons, and enough for a cardigan! I'm really, really excited about these and will be looking for the perfect goth cardi pattern to display them -- bat side up, naturally.


It's freezing out. Today, it was cold, but tomorrow, the low will be 1 F, and that's without the wind chill. So I'm knitting a hat for Mr. Batty. It's a pattern from The Knitting Man(ual), which I can't recommend enough. It has very wearable patterns for men, and the models look like real people. Oh, and the yarn I'm using is black, not some washed-out gray. Beautiful, dark black. As you can see, it's coming along nicely.


Also coming along nicely was the Mad About Plaid sock. I was beginning the toe decreases sometime last Sunday and was looking forward to casting on sock #2 when it suddenly hit me: 18+22 is not, nor will it ever be, 30. Which was really unfortunate, because 40 meant that I had not decreased 10 stitches after picking up the gusset, which meant that the foot of my sock was now huge. So... riiiiip.


I put the sock in time-out and cast on the hat. Now, I'm ready to get back to sock knitting, I think. But I had to get away from this glaring evidence of my lack of mathematical prowess. At least for a bit.
Pretty socks, though! I love the way they're turning out.

16 comments:

Bonnie said...

Oh, too bad about having to rip back. But they're great socks anyway! Love the hat, and most of all those very cool buttons.

Unknown said...

I totally adore those socks!!

Thanks for the kind words about my Triad scarf. Alas, we are in Costa Rica for medical care--no beaches in San Jose, I'm afraid!

weezalana said...

Aha - but the good thing is, you noticed it before you finished the sock! :)

The hat looks great so far, and very warm! Very cool buttons, too!

Anonymous said...

Hallo Batty,
leider verstehe ich nicht immer alles was Du in Deinem Blog schreibst, da sich meine Englischkenntnisse mehr und mehr aus meinem Kopf verabschieden, aber Deine Bilder sprechen für sich. Die blaubunten Socken gefallen mir unheimlich gut. Die bunte Spitze und Ferse sehen peppig zu dem blau aus.

Liebe Grüße
Mary

Lara 900 said...

Die Socken find ich einfach super! Nur schade, dass Du etwas ribbeln musst, aber sooo viel ist das ja auch nicht? Ich habe uebrigens gerade vor fuenf Minuten entdeckt, dass ich die naechsten Kniestruempfe fuer meinen Sohn auch zwei Zentimeter zu lang gestrickt hatte, das muss wieder weg. Da das Resteverwertungssocken sind, hatte ich nach dem Fuss aufgehoert, auf einen Faden gefaedelt, und den zweiten angefangen. Zum Glueck hab ich jetzt anprobieren lassen, bevor ich zwei zu grosse Socken fertig hatte.

adrienne said...

The buttons are awesome! The socks will be great when they're done. It's too bad you had to rip back, but better than finishing and then realizing!

Anonymous said...

Those buttons are great! I'd be so tempted to rotate them.

Your plaid socks are very cool! I love how you did the color stripes on the cuff, and the heel!

Soo said...

Those buttons are genius!

Bezzie said...

I love those heels! And what cool freakin' buttons!

sgeddes said...

Those socks are looking great! I love the cuff anf heel detail.

Those buttons are just too cool! I have never seen anything like them.

Eileen said...

Great hat! I might have to take a look at that book.

Button, button, who's got the Batty buttons? They're awesome...if there are enough, what about using four of them for "cufflinks" at the wrists of the sweater?

The Hope sweater is being blocked; I'll sew it together this weekend!

Anonymous said...

OOOH, nice buttons!! i love the hat too.

Sorry about your socks. :( You'll get your mojo back on those any day now cuz they're super cute!

Anonymous said...

Love the socks!

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Bummer on the socks, but at least they are going to be let out of time out soon! They are soooooo pretty!

Love those buttons! Just perfect for you!

Jo said...

Cool buttons! What do you think you will use them for?

Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

Sing with me: The cow-own-ting is the hardest part.

Courtesy of Tom Petty.